Top Tips to Make Your First Float A Success
First Time Floating?
Don’t be alarmed if you’re a little nervous about your first float, this is quite normal, the key is to keep an open mind, remember it’s about everything you’re not doing!
If new to Float Away Ningaloo please arrive 5mins before your scheduled appointment.
Ideally, you have not eaten a large meal, nor consumed any caffeine prior to your float. We supply everything you’ll require – except a hairbrush! Upon arrival you will be shown into the private float studio, equipped with a flotation tank and bathroom. You’ll be personally guided through the float experience from start to finish so that you feel comfortable and confident in taking this space for yourself and getting the most out of your float. Once briefed, enjoy a quick pre-float shower to wash off any make-up, hair or body products. Please ensure you have removed any contact lenses and taken off any jewellery. After your shower, insert the ear plugs provided and step slowly into the float pod.
Once inside the tank, slide the lid to what your comfortable with – open, partially open or closed, lay back into the water and let go – it’s that easy! The water will hold you bouyant. Gentle music will be playing to help lull you into a space of rest and relaxation. Lights inside the tank can stay on for the duration of the float or, if comfortable, switch them off to fully immerse yourself in the sensory deprivation experience.
Your first float can be the most challenging one, please do not become frustrated if it takes your mind a bit to settle down as everyone experiences this at first. The real benefits are normally only noticed after the session is complete. Do your best to go with it, let go, listen to your breath and enjoy this sacred time and space just for you.
After your float, enjoy a warm shower using our hair and body products and cosy Egyptian cotton towels. A hair dryer is available if needed. Wander back through the studio, enjoy a Chai Tea or filtered water in the garden. Your lighter, freer and more vivid presence will continue to flourish and the benefits of your float will lasts for days to come.
If you loved your experience, we’d love to hear it…share it with us, share with a friend, share with the world.
If you’re interested in how to achieve the most during your first float, check out these ten tips:
- Don’t touch your eyes! Make sure a towel and water bottle is easily accessible from within the tank because incase you get salt in your eyes.
- After showering, before you get in the tank, dry your face off. This will prevent you from touching your face with salty hands!
- Do not drink anything for at least two hours and try to use the bathroom before using a float tank. You do not want a full bladder ripping you away from “the zone,” so make sure to go in empty.
- Do not think about time – let it go! Worrying your session is about to end or wondering how long you’ve been in only subtracts from the experience. The music that plays at the end of your session is sure to take you out of “the zone”.
- Focus on breathing. Just like meditation, focusing on breathing really helps you relax.
- Floating for the first time will not be anything like you can imagine. That’s okay, because it’s impossible to go in with no expectations. Just remember, one thing you can expect for sure is that you will leave the tank feeling relaxed.
- Use waterproof Band Aids to cover cuts. Ever heard the idiom “to rub salt in a wound?” Because of the salt in the tank, forgetting to cover cuts brings that idiom to life in a float tank.
- Try floating both with and without a neck pillow.
“Float in Zero Gravity... Clear your mind... Heal your body... Connect with your inner self"
Dr John C Lilly | Creator of Floatation Therapy